Thursday, December 10, 2009

Cheese Rolls

A few weeks ago I attended a dinner party where I needed to bring an item to share. Naturally my thoughts turned to the KAF Baker's Companion and attempted to find a recipe that would suit my needs. Didn't have potato flour, so scratch the soft white dinner rolls. Didn't have 24 hours, so scratch the crusty rolls. What did I have? A whole 8 oz of Cabot pepper jack cheese.


How perfect that I had everything on hand then for the "Cheese Rolls" on page 233 of KAF? I cut up my cheese into 16 cubes as the recipe will make 16 dinner rolls.



One then combines all the ingredients to make the dough and I "cheated" by using my mixer to knead the dough. It isn't really cheating and sometimes a mixer can really get the job done, particularly on sticky yeast breads, but I love the act of kneading bread by hand.

*Note-the recipe doesn't explain that the first three ingredients: yeast (it says instant, I used active), warm water and sugar) should be put into a bowl and set aside before adding it to the rest of the dough mixture. I'm not sure why the text assumed one would know to do this step, but anyone who has done any yeast baking will realize the ingredients right off the bat. Yeast loves warm water and sugar. Tasty, tasty.



Put the dough in a greased bowl and covered (cover with plastic wrap, a cloth or cheese cloth will not do) in a warm place for 20 mins. Wow, extremely fast rise.



The dough having doubled in size. Divide the dough into 16 pieces. Insert a cube of pepper jack and pinch the ends together.



Put the roll pinched side down. And let the rolls rise one more time for another 20 mins. Again, fast second rise!



Coat the tops with egg whites, italian seasonings, parmesan cheese and bread crumbs (I used panko). Cook in the oven for 15-18 mins.



I couldn't help myself. I had to nibble on one before I got to my camera.

This has to be the quickest yeast roll recipe I have ever seen. Super fast and the results were delicious. My roommate walked in and smelled the freshness of homebaked rolls and exclaimed that "something smelled good!" The moment she took a bite into one, her entire face lit up. Ah, this is why I bake. I'll be teaching her how to make these this weekend. I highly recommend adding this recipe to your quick and simple meals.

1 comment:

  1. These look terrific (and using our cheese makes them all the more appealing to me!) Thanks for the mention! I've linked to the post at www.facebook.com/cabot also! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete