Thursday, December 10, 2009

Welsh Cakes

When I first started the "Breakfast" chapter, aka chapter one, I wasn't sure what a "welsh cake" would look like. I had no idea what these would turn out to be. Adventures in baking.  KAF describes these as "a cross between a pancake and a baking powder biscuit, but much richer and sweeter." The recipe is on page 8 of KAF Baker's Companion.


One begins by mixing together the dry ingredients.


Then cut in the two sticks of butter.



Add the eggs, milk and currants (definitely use currants for the taste is divine and raisins would be too large)



Mix it together until you get a soft dough...




Like so.

Then comes the step where I had some problems. You divide the dough in half, working with one portion, while the other is in the fridge. You're supposed to roll out the dough and cut it with biscuit cutters. My dough was so sticky you couldn't "roll" it out if you wanted to. I sort of smoothed it out on a board. I believe this is the result of me adding too much milk and making the dough too wet. I also didn't have a biscuit cutter. I used a glass (yes, yes, I know this is a bad idea) and it simply made a mess.


So needless to say my welsh cakes didn't turn out perfectly round. Here they are frying up in the skillet.


I also had a bit of difficulty determining when the cakes where cooked all the way through. A completed batch. They may not look like it, but you can hold this steady in your hand. They truly are like flat biscuits. Very tasty with sugar and cinnamon to counter the tartness of the currants.

Next posts will be "Chewy Chocolate Chip Cookies" and "Pumpkin Pecan Waffles"

Until then

-Erin

No comments:

Post a Comment