Essentially you will begin with three parts to the batter (wet, dry and beaten egg whites) before mixing them all together. This is the wet ingredients which contain egg yolks, buttermilk and ricotta cheese.
Action shot! Beating those egg whites into submission.
Mix the wet with the dry and then fold in the egg whites.
As usual, once bubbles form, the pancake is ready to be flipped. Approximately 2 minutes or so.
The egg whites really make these pancakes fluff up.
Given the fact that I lack a griddle, I have to do double duty in order to cook all those pancakes.
A partially finished batch waiting for consumption.
And the vanilla sauce. This is a mixture of ricotta, powder sugar, vanilla, and salt. Hello, frosting! I put in about a tablespoon of milk to thin the mixture some.
A partially eaten pancake with the sauce.
These were certainly tasty, but I think if given the option again, I would just make the pancakes and skip the sauce. I find that it was unnecessary. Buttermilk and ricotta with a hint of lemon fluffy goodness doesn't need an extra layer of sugar. However, my roommate disagreed and thought that the sauce complemented the pancakes. To each his own.
'Til next weekend for either strawberry puff pancakes (yikes berries are out of season!) or Welsh cakes.
-Erin

No comments:
Post a Comment