Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Rising beginnings



Perhaps Julie and Julia has inspired a new wave of bloggers cooking their ways through texts and to be honest it certainly has inspired me as well. A blog that would serve as a record of activities, provide a place for dialogue and communication, and even learn a thing or two, is mighty appealing. But what to blog about? I've tried blogging about frugality, which was been time-consuming and lacked the fun necessary for keeping a blog going.

So what to blog about along the lines of Julie and Julia? Luckily a recent birthday gift answered that question for me: baking. I LOVE to bake. I wouldn't say I'm a good baker, but I'm certainly competent in the kitchen. I'm also a stress baker as I find the process meditative. Baking is a lost art, I fear. Since I live in Vermont, I've started taking classes at King Arthur Flour. A hand's on approach cannot beat reading a recipe.

Yeast Knead and Rise is my exploration into baking by baking my way through The King Arthur Flour Baker's Companion. The ultimate goal is to work up to the elusive croissant. Although to be honest, I'm more afraid of the fried dough chapter than anything else. Dangerous and smelly. Hmm.

I'll begin my first recipe "Simply Perfect Pancakes" on Sunday.

'Til then

-Erin

1 comment:

  1. sounds like a great idea! i'm slowly working my way around an old tattered "out of vermont kitchens" cookbook (circa 1930's) i inherited. it's amazing how much better real pancakes are compared to bisqiuck, and there not any harder really. i just keep the dry ingredients all mixed in a mason jar and then add the wet ingredients when we want some.

    ReplyDelete